Recently I was working with Dynamics NAV in the Web Services page of the RTC. I added some web services, deleted others and then also renamed some of them. No problem, I do that all the time, for demo purposes.

But then, suddenly, when I tried to test a web service, by copy/pasting it’s URL in my browser, I got the following error:

The server encountered an error processing the request. See server logs for more details.


First question: Where are the server logs?

Oh, maybe they mean the windows event log. Had a look, nothing there. I looked all over the place, no error logs related to this message. After a lot of (online) searching, I didn’t really find any useful information…

Then I had an idea:

Let’s delete the web services, one by one, from the web service table, then restart the service tier. 

And voila, it worked again.

Apparently, while creating, renaming and deleting web services before, there must have been a naming conflict behind the scene, because you can’t have two web services with the same name.

So, conclusion:

If you ever see this error message the solution is to delete your web services, one by one, from NAV, until it works again.

Post Navigation